Second grade is a wonderful year of learning and growth at UAS. Children’s beginning skills are strengthened and expanded while self-confidence is fostered and developed to encourage more independent learning. The second graders at UAS have many opportunities to apply knowledge as well as to develop meaningful understandings of the world in which we live. This is done through the assistance of an enthusiastic team of teachers who consistently vary instruction to meet the needs of each learner. At UAS, we strive to provide each child with an enjoyable and memorable academic experience.
- Students correctly use past, present and future tenses while increasing confidence, accuracy, and expression. They listen critically and respond appropriately to oral communication. They are able to retell information based on experience. They report on a topic which includes supportive facts and relevant details, drawing from several sources. They participate in imaginative play, storytelling, role play, and dramatization of stories and poems. Students anticipate and predict events when listening to texts read aloud. All second graders discuss their own stories and writing with others.
- Students organize ideas and maintain a consistent focus in writing. They use the writing process and conventions to create a logical sequence in their writing. Students use and understand reference materials. They demonstrate knowledge of and use grade level spelling.
In Grade 2, mathematics inquiry and instructional time will focus on: (1) extending understanding of base-ten notation; (2) building fluency with addition and subtraction; (3) using standard units of measure; and (4) describing and analyzing shapes.
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
• Add and subtract within 20.
• Work with equal groups of objects to gain foundations for multiplication.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Understand place value.
• Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
Measurement and Data
• Measure and estimate lengths in standard units.
• Relate addition and subtraction to length.
• Work with time and money.
• Represent and interpret data.
• Reason with shapes and their attributes.
Science, Social Studies, and Specialist Subjects
- Science, Social Studies and all specialist subjects (ELL, Arabic, Art, Music, Computers, Physical Education and Library) are integrated within each PYP Unit of Inquiry.
In Grade Two, we look forward to working together with parents to provide an outstanding educational experience for our children. It is our hope to instill in each UAS student a love of learning and a positive attitude toward school.