KG2 is a vital year for developing important academic, social, and emotional skills through exploration and hands on learning. We strive to guide and facilitate children to become independent inquirers who are responsible for their own learning. We value the uniqueness of each child and help them progress at their own rate through differentiation.
The KG2 Primary Years Program (PYP) encompasses all aspects of a child’s learning experiences.
- KG2 focuses on helping students to develop their self-confidence.
- Students are encouraged to be responsible for their learning and become independent thinkers.
- Students learn the foundations of reading including phonemic awareness and are introduced to the Rigby PM reading program.
- Each child is encouraged to read at his/her own level through differentiated reading groups.
- KG2 students learn the foundations of writing through responding to literature and journal writing.
In KG2, mathematical learning and inquiry focuses on (1) representing and comparing whole numbers, initially with sets of objects; and (2) describing shapes and space.
Counting and Cardinality
• Know number names and the count sequence.
• Count to tell the number of objects.
• Compare numbers.
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Work with numbers 11–19 to gain foundations for place value.
Measurement and Data
• Describe and compare measurable attributes.
• Classify objects and count the number of objects in categories.
• Identify and describe shapes.
• Analyze, compare, create, and compose shapes.
- In KG2 students explore the world of science through hands on experiments.
- They develop and follow scientific procedures, make predictions and observations, and record results.
Social Studies and Specialties
- Social studies and all specialties (ELL, Arabic, Art, Music, Computers, Physical Education and Library Studies) are integrated within each PYP Unit of Inquiry.
The KG2 team of teachers is dedicated to the development of each child’s academic and emotional foundation. Our aim is to develop a love of learning in each student through a variety of activities in a culturally rich environment.