UAS Bring Your Own MacBook (BYOM) Program
2017-2018 School Year
Universal American School Dubai (UAS) is continuing its commitment to providing the highest quality education for our students. Grades 4-12 will be part of our Bring Your Own MacBook (BYOM) program. Technology integration will empower and enrich student centered learning, which will help prepare them for their future.
UAS is committed to providing its students the tools necessary for them to be competitive in the ever changing job markets. We will be providing dedicated instruction and supervision to open a new world of learning, active inquiry, and expression for our students. As we continue to enrich student learning and achievement using technology.
All students enrolled in grades 4 through 12 will be required to bring an Apple MacBook on a daily basis, as part of their normal school supplies.
Benefits of the program include:
Students will be taught to develop the discipline and responsibility required when using technology integrated into classroom lessons and their daily lives.
Technology integration will empower and enrich student centered learning, which will help prepare them for their future.
Instructional Technology tools will be an integral part of the UAS curriculum and student-centered learning because the teachers and administrators at UAS are dedicated to use of these important learning tools.
Please bookmark for your future reference. You may also contact BYOM Laptop Program via email.
- Any MacBook model less than 3 years old.
- Current Operating System (OS): Mac OS X.11 El Capitan or Mac OS X.12 Sierra
- Battery must be able to provide power to the MacBook for at least 4 hours.
- Charger for recharging low battery.
- Padded MacBook case for transport and additional protection - separate from backpack.
- Headphones that can easily be carried, kept in a backpack, or stored in student locker.
- Please DO NOT purchase Microsoft Office. UAS will provide all students a full copy of Microsoft Office and install at the beginning of the school year.
UAS Laptop Registration (done at UAS Tech Hub before first day of class):
- Each student must register the MacBook with UAS IT before use at School. This registration should take place before the first day of class, e.g., during Orientation or any other time that is convenient. During registration, UAS will add the laptop into the school network and records system, and install an administrator account on the laptop.
- Each student must bring his/her laptop to UAS IT before they leave UAS so that staff may remove School site-licensed software and delete the laptop from School records and systems.
- Each student must bring his/her current “UAS” laptop to the UAS IT before s/he it is replaced so that staff may remove School site-licensed software and delete the laptop from School records and systems. The new laptop cannot be added to UAS’s system until the old laptop has been removed.
Student MacBooks must have the following software installed beginning the first day of school:
- Apple provided software - iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, which are preinstalled or available free from Apple App Store for the most recent MacBooks.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (Free from Adobe).
- Adobe Flash Player (Free from Adobe).
- Sun Java (Free from Sun Microsystems).
- Antivirus and malware software (Sophos recommended and free).
- Malwarebytes malware software (Free from website)
- External USB hard disk drive (HDD) for backup purposes. Minimum 500 gigabyte or larger in storage capacity.
- USB Flash Drive minimum 16 gigabyte in storage capacity.
- Web Browser - Safari, Firefox, or Google Chrome.
MacBook Management, Upgrades and Maintenance:
- All students and families will be required to sign the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
- Allow administrative access and an Administrative account to install software provided by the school.
- Maintain the MacBook in proper operating condition - updates and repairs.
- Student name on computer, chargers, etc.
- Padded computer bag/sleeve for transport and additional protection - separate from backpack.
Repairs are not provided by UAS.
Resources and documents will be placed here when available.
BYOM Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (Adobe PDF)